Typically when we go camping, our kiddos have slept in (or on) their sleeping bags rather than hassling with trying to put sheets on the bunk beds. Making a bunk bed is challenging, but keeping the sheets on the bed with acrobatic sleepers is nearly impossible. Although sleeping bags have been a simple bedding solution for camping, during the summer months our kiddos were often too hot in their sleeping bags but too cold just sleeping on top of them. So for our West trip I decided to buy sheets for each of their beds, but I needed a way to make the standard-sized twin sheets fit better and stay on the narrow camper bunks. So I did a little modification.
As I’ve mentioned before, I am not a trained seamstress and I tend to just tinker at my sewing machine until I get a result that works. So rather than go through detailed steps of how I created my fitted camper bunk sheets, I will share briefly, and then I have two resources that will do a better job of showing you
the correct way how to do it.
I started off with inexpensive twin sheet sets from Walmart. They were $9.97, by the Mainstays brand, and came packaged in a matching cloth bag. (I wish I had taken a picture before I dismantled them–oops.) I had initially tried modifying the fitted sheet to make it more narrow (removing some of the excess fabric), but my modifications didn’t turn out how I was envisioning, so I scraped that plan.
For the flat sheet, however, I needed to reduce its width and length to better fit the narrow bunk, so I trimmed 12″ from one of the long sides and then another 12″ from the bottom. Then I hemmed both cut sides, folding over a 1/4″ and then another 1/4″ to hide all raw edges.
From there I added elastic around only the bottom two corners to create a partially fitted top sheet.
With the bottom fitted corners anchoring the top sheet to the mattress, it will at least stay on the bed when our kiddos are tossing and turning in their bunks at night. This will make it a lot easier for the kids to tidy their beds in the morning without having to get an adult to tuck sheets back in. And since I reduced the width of the sheet, there is less excess fabric to wrestle with, but still plenty to keep our kiddos comfortably covered on chilly nights.